What is a Care Needs Assessment?

A Care Needs Assessment, otherwise known as a health and social care assessment is carried out by your local council’s social services department to find out what help and support you will need to stay in your own home independently and safely.

Following the assessment, your local council could suggest you would need help with the following services:

  • home care help with things like cleaning and shopping or personal care
  • disability equipment and adaptations to your home
  • day centres to give you or the person who cares for you a break

How do I arrange a care needs assessment?

You can arrange this for yourself (or your loved one) or with your permission; your GP or district nurse can refer you for an assessment on your behalf.

If you are being discharged from hospital, then the hospital will assess what adaptions may be needed to your home and what care you will require; a social worker should then be appointed and they will help arrange your future care and support.

To arrange a care needs assessment for yourself or your loved one, you need to contact your local authority.

If you live in England or Wales you can find details of who you need to contact for a care needs assessment on the gov.uk website. 

Contact Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s Social Care Contact Team

If you live in Stoke-On-Trent you can contact Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s Social Care Contact Team for advice about Social Care Services and how to start the assessment process via phone or email.

Telephone: 0800 5610015

Email: social.care@stoke.gov.uk

For more information you can view their website here.

Contact Staffordshire County Council Staffordshire Care Team

If you live within the Staffordshire County Council area you (or someone on your behalf) can complete a free online self-assessment to tell Staffordshire County Council about how you manage with daily tasks here.


Contact the Staffordshire Cares Team via phone or email.

Telephone: 0300 111 8010

Email: staffordshirecares@staffordshire.gov.uk

For more information you can view their website here.


Cream Home Care offer personal care, waking nights, live in care and a range of further services such as companionship, cooking, cleaning, help with shopping, social activities and access to the community including medical appointments. Our wellbeing teams provide high quality, person-centred care in the community, focussing on what matters most to you!

We are committed to supporting you in your home so you can maintain your independence and quality of life. We understand that everyone is different and everyone has different needs so we pride ourselves on delivering tailor made home care with dignity, compassion and respect.

Whether you are needing assistance to live independently, you are managing a chronic health care issue, recovering from a medical procedure, you require end of life care, have complex care needs or a disability; we are here to help and support you.

Our office is in Hanley, Stoke-On-Trent however we cover the whole of North Staffordshire.

Please call our friendly team today to chat about your requirements or if you would like any help with arranging your care needs assessment.